Monday, January 23, 2012

Manga Review: InuYasha: Family Matters, Vol. 2 by Rumiko Takahashi

Manga Monday was turned into a meme by the awesome Alison Can Read!

InuYasha: Family Matters, Vol. 2 (InuYasha, #2)

Description

After falling through an ancient well, schoolgirl Kagome has become the defender of both modern and 16th-century Japan against the forces of myth and darkness. But if she thought the horrors she and partner Inu-Yasha have faced so far were bad, she hasn't met Inu-Yasha's family yet. This installment includes the final fight with the soulless, seductive Yura of the Hair. (Goodreads)

Book Details

Author: Rumiko Takahashi
Library Binding: 192 pages
Publisher: VIZ Media LLC; 2 edition
Release Date: April 1, 2003 
ISBN-10: 1417656484
ISBN-13: 978-1417656486
Source: Library

Review

* I will warn you now that there may be spoilers in my Manga and/or Graphic Novel reviews.

In this installment of InuYasha I was excited to get to meet some of InuYasha’s family, well sort of…

Volume 2 starts out with a battle with Yura (an extremely creepy demon) , were Kagome shows just how awesome she is by figuring out how to defeat Yura and save InuYasha. I can’t get over how much I love Kagome! So often the teenage girl is so whiney and she is just not. She sees what has to be done and fights hard to do it.

After the battle with Yura, InuYasha’s brother shows up. While InuYasha is a half-demon his brother Sesshomaru is a whole demon and there is no love lost between these two. Sesshomaru wants InuYasha to tell him how to get to their fathers grave site so that he may retrieve his fathers sword. Sesshomaru uses any means necessary to get this information out of InuYasha so that he can get his hand on the sword, but will he be able to use it? I was surprised at how much feeling came off the page when Sesshomaru came onto the scene. I could not stand him but I loved what he added to the story line.

I really enjoy the back and forth between InuYasha and Kagome. It is obvious that they like each other, but they are trying so hard to keep their I-can’t-stand-you-I-just-have-to–work-with-you vibe down. I also love the action in this series! there is never a dull moment. and the creepy demons are a mega plus for me.

Happy Reading,
Signature

Loved it! I want to know about everything this author writes.

Recommended For
These actually have ratings on the back!
Older Teen: For violence and some nudity.

6 comments:

  1. I love Kagome! She was a breath of fresh air after the frustratingly clumsy and cowardly female protags in several shoujo series I'd been following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Manga, the artwork is beautiful but I've never really given it a chance. This sounds like it's a fun story though, maybe I'll have to give teh first one a try. (Or would you recommend something else for a first Manga read?)

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first series and I love it! I'm going to try Fruits Basket next. I had a lot of people to tell me to start with that series, so I can't wait! I'm getting vol. 1-3 today from the library:)

      Delete
  3. This was the first anime that I watched and loved but never actually picked up the manga. I was recently thinking about checking out Inu-Yasha again to see how far in the story the manga went.
    Kristin
    (Book Sniffers Anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally vowed that I would not watch the anime...umm yeah, epic fail on my part. I am now like obsessed and have watched hours. They are so right on with each other.

      Delete
  4. This series sounds like a lot of fun. I'd also recommend Kekkaishi. It's about a boy demon hunter but has a strong girl role as well.

    And as for the above comments, I can't wait to see what you think of Fruits Basket. It was my first series and it's one of the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!